Sunday, August 23, 2009

Why does Yahoo have to use such a boondoggle of an anti-virus program. And why did they change it?

I recently installed the new Yahoo Nortan anti-virus suite. It took me almost 2 hours to run the install. Then I did the updates. That took another hour and a half. All told it took me 3 1/2 hours, 3 reboots, and a heap of agravation. All that I could deal with but I suddenly noticed random lockups in IE and other programs. Also Norton is a known resource hog and the Yahoo version is not much better. It slowed down my system noticably.



I deleted the stuff and installed Avast. It took less than 5 minutes and only 1 reboot with the same amount of protection.



Why did Yahoo drop CA and go with Norton, an inferior product?



Why does Yahoo have to use such a boondoggle of an anti-virus program. And why did they change it?antispyware



My guess would be price, Norton probably asked for less.



Norton and Symantec suck. When a product's own uninstall program can't clean up after itself to the extent that you have to manually mess with your Windows registry to remove all its bits and pieces, you know you're dealing with a crappy product.

No comments:

Post a Comment