Sunday, August 23, 2009

Unable to use Disk Cleanup (MS's own version through Win XP)?

For what ever reason, I am unable to use XP's Disk Cleanup. It keeps throwing up the dialog asking me to send an error report. I never do, since I know they probably will not look at it anyways.



This problem started last week when doing my weekly computer maintenance. I didn't think anything of it then and just continued on without doing it.



This week however I am a little concerned that I am unable to use it. While I use CCleaner, I like the option to delete my system restore backups except the latest one. As far as I know, there are no other programs that will allow me to do this.



Other then doing a repair on Win XP, is there anything else that I can do?



I have done a virus check with resident scanner (Avast!) and online scan (Bitdefender). I have done adware and spyware checks as well. The virus scans turned up nothing and adware/spyware turned up the usual tracking cookies.



So what else can I do?



Unable to use Disk Cleanup (MS's own version through Win XP)?norton antivirus 2007



I use CCleaner as well on my XP system and I just do the following to get to disk cleanup...



My Computer, Highlight which drive you want to cleanup, click properties, under properties you should see the disk cleanup button.



Or, Start%26gt;All Programs%26gt;Accessories%26gt;System Tools%26gt;Disk Cleanup.



I haven't had the problems you're having and I'm sure you've done the methods above, so perhaps you could do a System Restore to a state when it was operating fine, if you haven't deleted past restore points yet.



Unable to use Disk Cleanup (MS's own version through Win XP)?product key



you may have windows programs running in the background that you are not aware of that's interfering with the cleanup. Go in to ms dos mode and at the prompt, enter c:\scandisk



this will run the cleanup without windows running. This should fix the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment